Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mademoiselle Chambon. Why?

We've hiked and jogged and slogged 10 out of the past 12 days–and I got my sketches turned in today. So instead of putting on our hiking shoes this evening, we decided to go to a movie.

Sometimes I think it would be better to be married to someone who didn't like the same movies I like. Because then after seeing a movie like Mademoiselle Chambon he could explain to me why the little man in the Chronicle is standing up in his chair clapping.

The first foreign movie I ever saw was by Truffaut and as a result I thought I would love all French movies from then on. Totally devoid of humor, this was no Truffaut at all. (Silly, I know. Why should it be?)

I thought it was going to be about a woman who fell in love with a married man. I'm sure none of you have ever fallen in love with a married man, right?

If you happen to see it and understand why it was made, and why the little man in the Chronicle is standing up in his chair and clapping, please report back to me immediately.

p.s. The popcorn at Opera Plaza gets an A+.

p.p.s. We saw the Woody Allen movie You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger  a couple of weeks ago. It was delightful. And meaningful, too. When I left the theater I felt like I had seen a movie.