Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Take Lots of Pictures & Make Lots of Plans

















Andrea writes about seeing Elizabeth Gilbert and Anne Lamott. From her Superhero Journal:

... there were a few stories that stuck. One was a story that Elizabeth Gilbert paraphrased from a book she had read recently. The question posed was about living in the now and this writer responded that living in the now is overrated and unless you're a yogi or a monk, pretty much impossible for us regular folk. He said that possibly, the key to a happy life is about having great memories to look back on and great things to look forward to. So take lots of pictures and make lots of plans!


This is how I've tried to live for some time, but hadn't put it into words quite so well. I've always believed that we need beautiful images of our lives because it helps us to craft the story of our lives. When I look at my photos, I see that I have had amazing adventures, that I live in a world of color, that there is beauty everywhere, that my dreams are coming true, that I am loved. My photographs reflect back a story that inspires me.


Making plans for the future gives you a different quality of life in the present. When I know I am going on a trip next week or next month I feel so differently about today. Having something to look forward to gives you a giddiness about life, an excitement about what's to come, and can shift our experience of the now. I have a few fun travel adventures planned for this year, and just knowing they are coming gives me a joy right now that is such a gift.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

When I look at my photos, I don't always see that I've had amazing adventures nor do I always see that beauty is everywhere, but my photos are precious to me anyway. They make me feel rich. When I come back home with a camera full of photos, I can't wait to download them. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting ready to empty out a box of treasure.

I agree when Andrea says "Making plans for the future gives you a different quality of life in the present." Again though, the trips I have planned for the future don't always give me something to look forward to. (Some trips I dread.) But they definitely color my time right now.