Sunday, September 30, 2007

Symbols of Transformation










from Katy: September 24, 2007 5:34:31 PM PDT
Did you really used to hate your house? What happened? I know you've worked a lot on it, but what else, what happened? What's the story of the transformation?


then katy said...

Was there a turning moment---a new floor, a cabinet, a sink, a good workman, a perspective from the table or chair or bed or stove, that revealed a change in the works? I really want a tale of symbolic change. Is there such a tale?

still wondering said...
Symbols of transformation, yes or no?...or is that too....psychological for something so practical

Katy's referring to the post where I told about going from hating our house to loving it. Moving to San Francisco wasn't supposed to be like moving to a prison camp. But that's what it felt like for a long time. The change that was revealed was in me as much as the house. (Violin music swells.)

Some symbols of the transformation:
• A green rubber watch (mailed to me by Tom after I had "moved" to Chattanooga for a month) with a note saying Time to come home. Love, Tom.

• A song that happened to be playing the first time I ever tried out an i-pod on display at the Apple Store: (If I had to point to one moment, this would be it.)

... I had another dream about lions at the door
They weren't half as frightening as they were before
But I'm thinking about eternity
Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...


• A doorbell Tom & I painfully installed (big, green and glowing–looks like a gumdrop).

Other things that didn't hurt:
• White paint
removed (too good to be true)
• New red roof
removed (too disrespectful)
removed (too dramatic)
removed (too sad)
removed (too personal)
• New window punched out with view to the ocean / lots of light
removed (too obvioius)
removed (smells bad)
removed (too gushy)
removed (too strident)
removed (too weirdo)
• Getting the fireplace going (talk about luxury!)
removed (too dumb)
• The fact that Tom is a great designer. When anything he designs finally comes into being, the results are wonderful.


The saga never ends, as everyone who lives in a house or hovel knows. But Katy, you're the one with the house story. You lived in a tiny apartment in NY (so small you had to move your bicycle out of the way for me to squeeze through the door with my suitcase). Then two years ago you moved to a 170-year-old building in TN. (4000 sq. ft?) When will we hear your house story?